Sunday, April 20, 2008

Dementia Caregiver? 4+ Ways You Can Take a Break

You may know about art therapy for people with Alzheimer's and other dementias. But caregivers can benefit by using the arts, too -- as a break. It's an often-overlooked, quick pick-me-up, handy if a vacation is only a daydream and you're not into meditative breathing.

Gay Hanna, executive director for the National Center for Creative Aging, which offers a resource directory on arts programs, says the benefits of art definitely work to heal cared-for and caregiver alike. So....

WRITE

Keep a diary. Write a letter. Pour your heart out on looseleaf and burn it up after. Or join this online study by Dr. Howard Butcher at the University of Iowa, who's researching the effects of writing as stress relief for dementia caregivers specifically. Lots of studies have shown that writing has mental and physical health benefits for people in other stressful situations.

Or, of course, blog! Nikki of Dementia... Read more

3 Comment

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with your recommendations about writing as a way for
caregivers to handle their stress. It worked for me.

I'm also glad you refer bloggers to Dr. Howard Butcher. His study results will
provide a very important perspective on caregiving stress relief. I've been
in regular touch with him and he is currently reading a copy of my book,
"Dementia Diary, A Caregiver's Journal."

I wrote this memoir at the request of many male caregivers present at a conference
for caregivers at which I was invited to speak. They said there was a need
for a book about caregiving written from a man's perspective since all
other books like it were written by women. When I agreed to write it I thought
it would just be a catharsis and would provide relief from the stress I felt. It
did do this. However, the book has also become a kind of portable
support group for caregivers of both genders. The email comments I
receive from readers is very gratifying. My mother would have loved the idea
that her illness has become a source of inspiration for other dementia
stricken families. She died a year ago and with her death my caregiving responsibilities
ended. As a friend said: I not only lost my mom, I lost my job!

My memoir may be of interest to you or your bloggers. Anyone interested
in learning more about this book, or about me, can check out my website:
http://www.dementia-diary.com or feel free to write to me at: bobtell@mac.com

Blog Flux Directory
alzheimersideas - whereIstand.com

Fitness is important in dementia prevention. Click below for more info