Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dementia: One Moment at a Time

Here is a beautiful piece which will help you understand dementia better. it is on
mySteinbach.ca
by Larry Hirst

Melony is a health care aid and works in one of the nursing homes in our district. One day, after helping one of the resident’s who is living with dementia get ready for the day the resident looked at her with grateful eyes and said, “I hope you are always my girl.” Melony took this to mean that the resident hoped that she would always be there to help her. Melony wisely responded with a big smile, “I probably won’t always be your girl, but I’m your girl today.” The resident smiled back, the conversation was over but in that simple transaction two people connected in a meaningful and uplifting way.

Many people, when they hear the word dementia or Alzheimer’s, think that the possibility of human connection and all that entails is over. This can become the sad reality in the late stages of the disease, but it is not true in the stages leading up to that last stage when the person becomes locked out of the world in which they live. If I may, let me share one of the things that I have learned over the past eight years as I have worked among people who struggles in the various stages of the diseases grouped under the heading of dementia.

Live in the moment, one moment at a time. As I have provided care to folks suffering with various kinds of dementia, I have learned to live with....read the whole post
For more dementia information, click here

For Alzheimer's and dementia activities, click here

No comments:

Blog Flux Directory
alzheimersideas - whereIstand.com

Fitness is important in dementia prevention. Click below for more info